The Department of Modern Languages at Washington and Jefferson is seeking applications for an Adjunct Instructor of Arabic.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Teach two to three undergraduate courses in beginner and intermediate Arabic per semester. Courses are taught in person, on campus, several days a week.
- Stay current with developments in the field of Arabic Language and Culture, Second-Language Pedagogy, Second-Language Acquisition.
- Offer one office hour per week per hour taught.
- Prepare syllabi that meet department and College standards.
- Prepare meaningful classroom experiences, which include a variety of pedagogical strategies, including lectures, discussion, tests and exams.
- Design, administer, and grade examinations.
- Submit grades, schedules and syllabi in a timely fashion.
- Reply to emails from students, the Department of Modern Languages faculty, and the office of Academic Affairs regularly.
- Must have native or near-native proficiency in Modern Standard Arabic and demonstrate a native or near-native proficiency in English, both written and spoken.
- Must be able to work closely with the supervisor while managing the courses independently.
- Must have excellent communication skills oral and written, and cross-cultural skills.
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills, and the ability to work with a diverse community of students, faculty, and staff.
- Must have expertise in the use of instructional technology and communicative, proficiency-based, teaching methodologies.
- Must have the ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
Applicants should hold an MA or a higher degree in Arabic Literature or Culture with training in Second-Language Pedagogy, Second-Language Acquisition, Second Language Pedagogy, Applied Linguistics, or a closely related field.
- cover letter
- curriculum vitae
- list of at least three recent academic references
- statement of teaching philosophy
- copy of at least one set of official student evaluations from Arabic courses taught between January 2019 and the present.
At least 1 year of experience in teaching Arabic at an undergraduate institution in the U.S.
The above declarations are not intended to be an all-inclusive list of the duties and responsibilities of the position described, nor are they intended to be such a listing of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Rather, they are intended only to describe the general nature of the position.
Job Description Status The duties and responsibilities listed in this job description are illustrative ones anticipated for this position. Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned as required. Washington & Jefferson College reserves the right to amend or change this job description to meet the needs of its programs. This job description and any attachments do not constitute or represent a contract.
Apply for this job at https://washjeff.applicantpro.com/jobs/. Please submit a cover letter and resume. It is recommended that all documents be in PDF format and uploaded at one time. Review of applications will begin immediately.